Several years ago, I felt it was important to try to record my living grandfather's life story. When trying to find an app which had all the features necessary to accomplish that, I found they were all lacking in some way. I needed something that could record any media type, including text, pictures, video, and audio, as well as allow me to more easily publish his story. There were a few journaling apps, but they didn't have the ability to upload videos or audio, nor was there the option to import a journal that had already been kept in a text document. Most options were antiquated and were not simple to use. I couldn't believe there wasn't a real solution out there. Since no one else was fully addressing the problem, I decided I needed to be the one to provide the solution for those who wanted a simple, easy way to record the life story for themselves or their relatives, whether living or dead.
That is when the idea for Talefire began.
The goal of Talefire is to create the most enjoyable and easy-to-use life story app, through a simple and intuitive design, automation, and a fully supportive suite of features, products and services. Some of those features include:
- Sync information between a familysearch.com account and a Talefire account
- Providing prompting questions to help you get started and keep recording
- Being able to publish the content of a story into one or mutliple volumes of books
- Easy collaboration between others who contribute to the story of relatives
- and more!
Although not all features will be present in the first version of the app, we are planning on making the majority of them available within 6 months of releasing the app to the public.
How do we do it?
It is definitely not an easy endeavor, but most certainly worth it because everyone has a story to tell, and once they have passed on, their story goes with them.
We feel that the core tools you need to record and preserve life stories, should be free. However, we also understand that we still need to pay the bills and grow the business. These two purposes require balance. That is why we will keep the app free, except for a very small storage fee over a certain number of gigabytes for your account. We will also provide products and services that fit your needs which are associated with life story recording, preserving, and publishing.
Why do we need funding?
As with any venture there is a cost associated. We are trying to raise $10,000, to demonstrate to banks and potential investors the amount of interest we have at a grassroots level to secure the funding we will need to get up and running. We have begun work on the beta version of the app, and the total estimated cost of building out the app from the beta to the public version alone is around $75,000. Although that is the biggest initial contributor, that amount does not include many other costs associated with building a business.
How can you help?
There are several ways you can help:
- Contribute monetarily whatever you can in one of the packages below (you can also specify a different amount once you get to the payment page).
- Spread the word, through talking to people, sharing this page on Facebook or other social media platforms, and more.
- Take our 3-5 minute survey and sign up to be a beta tester (at the end of the survey) by clicking here.
However you can help is much appreciated.